Monday, August 23, 2010

Talamanca, Costa Rica

What to say, what to say? We had a warm welcome to Talamanca, Costa Rica. Well, actually, to Bambu, Costa Rica, and that was after waiting 1.5 hours at a HOT bus stop in Bribri and taking the local bus on the rough road to Bambu. Thank God for shade and buses!!! I would not want to have walked that road in the heat!

Kenneth and Elaine Orozco, whom Mike and I met on the base in Panama back in January, had worked in the Talamanca area for years and years and went there with us from the conference in San Jose. Elaine was actually born and raised in Bambu and Mike and I were invited to stay in their family's home with them for a few nights while the rest of our team camped out at the church / YWAM base there. The Orozco's older sons showed me cacao fruit and explained how one goes about making chocolate from them. Elaine also brought me a variety of chocolates to taste from a nearby village -- so delicious!

Kenneth and Elaine in their kitchen in Bambú
We met some wonderful people in Bambu. In addition to the Orozcos, there was Brook, from Canada, who is taking over the base there since the Orozco's move to Panama, Jorgeli and his wife Eney (we did not meet their son, Jorge, but we did meet their cat, Jorgito!), Alex, Maxi, Veronica, and Emma who all took good care of us during our adventure week.

Doña Eney!

So, what did we learn during our week in Talamanca? We weren't just relaxing and eating chocolate all week -- far from it! It was a physically, emotionally, and spiritually challenging week for everyone on the team:
  • Surrender - Sometimes we carry things we don't need. Literally and figuratively. Our lives will be easier if we put those things down.Surrender them to God.
  • Gratitude - I've never been so thankful to sleep on a dry, concrete floor or for a meal of peanut butter and raisins on saltines. Even when I've had to "rough it" I still typically have three meals a day, safe water to drink, clothes to change into if mine get wet or smelly, shoes, access to care if I get sick, and much more, unlike many of my brothers and sisters around the world.
  • Servant leadership - I got a real glimpse of servant leadership this week, and I'm still processing it. A willingness to sacrifice yourself in order to help others grow. I think this is something God wants us to embrace and practice, and I think it can really change hearts.
Ok -- here's some more photos!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How come you are still so white looking? Is this the rainy season or do you just not get much time in the sun?