Baby Thomas has arrived! And 8 days earlier than expected! We're happy We got to meet him a bit early. We really like having him around. He's super cute, and he's a really good baby. it's funny -- I'd never been a huge fan of newborns - I always found that older babies were more fun because they are more interactive, but man, I love this little guy! I love how he snorts when he's starting to get upset and cry, and how he sometimes crosses his eyes when he's looking at me (this seriously cracks me up). I love hOw he looks like our baby. You never know what they're going to look like, but I think he resembles both of us. I love how he doesn't seem to notice when Max barks - apparently babies can hear enough from inside the womb to get accustomed to "normal" noises in Mom's life. I love how God planned him out and blessed us with him specially. it's nice to know that God has a plan for him and wisdom for us on how to raise him.
Lately, I spend a large part of my day sitting in a recliner feeding and/or snuggling my baby. It's often a two-handed job, so I have a lot of time to think. I often think about things I'd like to blog about, if only I had a free hand. Sometimes I have one hand free, and then I am able to use a tablet computer to surf the web. Or to feed myself! Right now he's propped so I actually have two hands free. This is almost unheard of for us! Perhaps this will soon be the norm?
I want to write about our adventures around the block, diapers, feeding, and more. But I should sleep now. Little Guy is zonked out, but probably not for long!
Two more little things... Mike is a WONDERFUL dad, and many thanks to my mom for helping us survive thee first week. There were some rough spots, but she kept us well fed throughout :)
----------
Ok -so, first night home without having pumped OR supplemented with formula (at least so far). I was thinking Thomas might not sleep for more than a 1.5 - 2 hour stretch between feedings at night without some sort of additional milk, but thankfully he went almost 3.5 hours on the first shift! Yay! Mommy got sleep! If he can do that one more time, he's gonna have an extra happy mommy in the morning.
I admit that I've gone a little bit hippy since becoming a mom. At some point while pregnant I became interested in cloth diapering. I can, and have, spent hours researching cloth diapering systems and washing techniques and making price comparison spreadsheets. I refrained, mostly, from any purchasing before baby was born (with the exception of 1 doz. High quality prefolds for use as burp rags if nothing else). A local retailer (Nicki's Diapers) carries a huge variety of cloth diapers and offers a 15 day wash and return policy, so you can try different kinds until you find what you like, and if you decide to give up on cloth, you can still use your store credit on other baby gear. Since Thomas was born, we have picked up a few different styles of diaper wraps to go over infant sized prefolds. My sister-in-law also dropped off her supply of Swaddlebees small pocket diapers. I love the Swaddlebees. They are really absorbent and really soft on baby's bottom. It's also nice to have a sized diaper for a newborn, as many of the adjustable one-size diapers are really bulky on an itty bitty one. The supply of Swaddlebees will help us wait to find a one-size solution until he's big enough to fit them better. I should mention that the hospital provided both cloth diapers (covers + prefolds) and disposables, and Mike and I both enjoyed using the cloth, although we didn't mind the disposables either. At home, now, we are mostly using cloth, but we throw in a disposable here and there. My main motivation for cloth diapering is that it is more comfy for baby. It can also be cheaper to use cloth, though I've never done this much laundry before in my life.
So, you may say, well, cloth diapering isn't really that hippy. Well, while pregnant I also read a book about going diaper free. More on that later...
No comments:
Post a Comment