Thursday, April 26, 2012

Busy Mom!

There's so much I'd like to write about -- little things here and there. But, Thomas is mobile and he keeps me on my toes! Not much time to sit and write!

I mentioned in an earlier post I've turned a bit granola-y since having a baby. It just makes you think more about what's going into your body and baby's body. So, eating more organic, cloth diapering (lots of chemicals in disposables, but really I mostly like cloth because I NEVER have to rush out to the store for diapers!), etc. Recently, after meeting with a like-minded and inspirational friend, I've been attempting to go 'pooless.

That is shampoo-less. I've been using baking soda to shampoo and apple cider vinegar to condition / detangle my hair. That is 1 Tablespoon of baking soda or ACV to 1 cup of water. Baking soda mostly focused on the roots (scrub it in) and ACV mostly focused on everything but the roots. My hair is still in the adjustment phase -- not sure if this is totally going to work out for me or not as I'm a hair type that usually requires washing every day, but I already (7 days in with some inconsistencies) find that I was able to skip an entire day of shampooing and conditioning and my hair felt good! Here's the details, day by day
  1. Washed with baking soda & apple cider vinegar.
  2. Washed with baking soda & apple cider vinegar.
  3. Washed with baking soda & apple cider vinegar.
    Hair felt a little greasy so by the end of the day I washed with my usual shampoo and conditioner in one.
  4. Washed with baking soda & apple cider vinegar.
  5. Washed with baking soda & apple cider vinegar.
    Roots felt a little greasy and ends felt dry, so I did a full shampoo and condition.
  6. **Planned to use normal shampoo and conditioner, but as I got my hair wet in the shower, it felt really good, so I just rinsed. No shampoo, no conditioner, no baking soda, no vinegar!!
  7. Washed with baking soda & apple cider vinegar. Hair is still feeling good!
  8. ??? What will I do tomorrow?? No one knows!
Throughout the process, I've also been brushing my hair at night with a boar bristle brush to distribute the natural oils from me scalp into the length of my hair. I've also been consistently impressed with the detangling ability of the apple cider vinegar. It's always super easy to comb through my wet hair after rinsing with the vinegar. I've also noticed that my hair's color has deepened a bit. Usually at this time of year it would start to lighten with the sun, but it's actually taking on a richer, dark tone.

My frugal friend also sent some links to other natural, homemade shampoo alternatives. I could definitely see switching to something like this where it's a shampoo and conditioner in one for ease of use:

Homemade Shampoo

1 c. Dr. Bronner’s organic castile liquid soap (we use Baby Mild for its versatility -works for baby and us!)
2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
3/4 Tbs. tea tree & Vit. E oil (or just one oil only, etc.)
1/4 c. water
1 (16 oz) spray bottle or other container for application

From http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/08/homemade-natural-hair-care-shampoo-recipe.html

Would love to write more, but I have other things to get done while Thomas naps! His latest developments include learning to clap (yay!) and one of his top front teeth is about to erupt! He is our precious little bumpkin-tater, and we love him so much!

1 comment:

Laura said...

clapping - how exciting!! I've learned about going without shampoo and it intrigues me. I usually only wash my hair every 3 days, so for now that's okay with me :).